2012/13 Street Sedan Title Close Finish

10/10/12….Pam Franz…story courtesy of Ryan Harris

The 2012/13 Queensland Street Sedan Title will go down in history as one of the greatest after a truly amazing, entertaining and action packed 40 lap Championship race last night at the Kingaroy Speedway.

As the cars rolled onto the track for the feature, you could really feel like something special was about to happen and after the driver intro’s were done the cars lined up and got away to a frantic start. The opening exchanges saw rookie senior driver, Brody Thomsen get away to an early lead after pole sitter Neil Keldoulis exited the race after getting a flat right rear on the opening corner of the final.

Defending Queensland Champion Tim Atkin started from position 6 and began to work his way to the front. Meanwhile down the back, the likes of Jim Cowley, Chris Elliot and B Main winner Kristian Walker began to make a real charge through the field.

Atkin then challenged for the lead and got passed young Brody Thomsen and was on his way to what looked like his fourth Queensland Title. But Thomsen never gave up and got back into the lead when drama unfolded mid way through the feature race. Thomsen was leading down the back straight when he tipped the BA Falcon into turn three, hitting the cushion, popping the right rear and consequently part spinning to be cleaned up by Gympie’s Tim Atkin. Thomsen got out of the car obviously upset with what had happen and after the crowd voiced there cry for the outcome from the incident, Brody took full responsibility for the incident and felt sorry for Atkin having no other option but to run into him. Thomsen got a huge ovation from the big Kingaroy Speedway crowd.

The race restarted with Atkin in the lead and you could of thought that he would run away with the event and it certainly looked that way as he opened up a massive lead and began to work his way through lapped traffic when once again a huge change of events would take place on lap 28. As Atkin came past the control tower coming up on some of the back markers, Kristian Walker who had previously worked his way through the field to only spin out earlier and go back to the rear again, lost his right rear wheel causing him to roll his immaculately presented Commodore upside down, in which race leader Tim Atkin had no where to go, and slammed into the incident, causing major damage to the front end of his VS Commodore. Walker climbed from the wreckage unhurt, but his race was over and then officials began to check over the Atkin Commodore to see if he could continue. The front end of the car was pushed across and with plenty of the front end suspension badly damaged, Atkin was able to continue as everything was still attached and operational all be it, in the wrong places.

By this time Josh Arthur who had been running the race of his life found himself right behind Atkin at the restart. As the green flagged dropped for the final 12 lap sprint to the chequered flag, Atkin led the field away. You could see him fight with his damaged car and after a few laps, Arthur slipped passed Atkin to lead the Queensland Title. Behind him Chris Elliot, Steve Thomsen, Jim Cowley and Tim Atkin engaged in a battle royale with Arthur, in one of the greatest finishes ever seen in a Queensland Title. In the closing stages Arthur withstood some big challenges from Steve Thomsen who looked to have got passed Arthur with only a couple of laps to go, along with an amazing fight for the podium positions between Elliott, Cowley and Atkin. But it was the young flyer Josh Arthur from Hervey Bay who was able to hold on to capture his maiden Queensland Championship just ahead of Maryborough’s Steve Thomsen and Chris Elliot, Sunshine Coast’s Jim Cowley and Gympie’s Tim Atkin.

The event was run in honour of the late and great Keith Harm and one can only think somewhere in the universe something special happened last night, because at last seasons Keith Harm Memorial Street Sedan event, Josh Arthur gave up his very own car after the heat races, to allow Josh Harm (who blew a motor in his last heat) to run in his Grandfathers memorial race that night. Last night is a fitting result to what is a wonderful and extremely special story.

The racing throughout the entire weekend from the Street Sedans was great to watch and really showcased what was a fantastic 28th running of the QSCA Inc Queensland Street Sedan Title.

In the other events held on the weekend Aidan Raymont beat home Gavin Fletcher and Victoria’s Mark Carlin in the Modified Production feature race.  Earlier in the night Gavin Fletcher set a new lap record of 15.689 seconds lowering the old mark from 16.440 seconds. 

The Junior Sedans South Burnett Shootout was taken out by Jayden Peacock, who narrowly beat home Brendan Learoyd and Paddy Brennan.

In the Kingaroy Gold Cup for 4 Cylinder Sedans Tim Weir snatched victory from James Elliott who
blew a motor on the last corner.  Portland’s Sue Healey finished third.

On behalf of the South Burnett Speedway Club we would like to thank everyone that was involved in the event including all the officials, volunteers, drivers, passengers, crews and fans and look forward to seeing you all back for a massive show on 3rd November featuring the “Think Money” V8 Super Sedan Championship Series, Round 2 of the Wild Desert Modified Production Allstars Series, Production Sedans and Wingless Sprints.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.